Friday, March 16, 2012

Abigail Adams

Today I am wrestling with a topic.  I scanned the lists of one liners for others' posts this morning.  I noticed Tara's comments about multitasking and she mentioned Women's History Month.  And so thanks, Tara for helping me get an idea.

A story told to me by my mother...
One day I came home from the second grade in tears.  My mom asked what was wrong and I told her that Abigail Adams wasn't able to see her son, John Quincy Adams, become president because she had died before he was elected.  My mom was relieved but a little confused by my reaction but for me, that started an interest in the life of Abigail Adams.  

Since that day,  I read any book that is published about her or her husband, John Adams.  I love to read the letters she wrote to her husband and various famous Americans such as Thomas Jefferson.   I admire her intelligence, her opinions, her ability to run a farm, and raise a family.  And isn't it wonderful?   My interest started one day when a teacher shared with her second graders about a famous woman, Abigail Adams.

7 comments:

  1. Wow -- a lifelong interest spurred by a teacher. I'm glad you captured this slice of you. :)
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Abigail Adams...what a woman she was. She had an amazing marriage - truly a marriage of equals, rare for that day and age. "Remember the ladies!" now that's a rallying cry for today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy hearing how seeing a slice by another writer impacts another slicer. It reminds me how important it is for our students to share their writing with one another so they get ideas for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interest for life was born in second grade, that is awesome! You must have had a special teacher. That's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how you can track your interest back to second grade. And, yet we discount the impact we have as teachers. .. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I worked with some 5th graders who are researching famous Americans of the Revolutionary period...I am sadly sure no lifelong interest was stirred.

    My interest is piqued to look for some reading about Abigail Adams...and so the influence of a good teacher reaches still farther...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You give me hope. I love to read the stories of famous people from history with the hope that my students will fall in love with the stories. I love knowing it happened for you.

    ReplyDelete